Coffeehouse: A Moment of Beauty

JV Icon PenOctober 30, 2017.   Imagine us all in a vintage coffeehouse, sprawled on sprung couches  around wobbly tables, our journals out, classic rock (country, punk, pop, fill in your own blank) pouring out of the stereo speakers mounted on the wall. We’re writing to the same prompt and then somebody calls time and we share. That’s Coffeehouse Community Writes!

Write for 7-10 minutes on the prompt below.  Include or remove [recent] as useful. Then post your write, or whatever you want of it, or a reflection (As I read this I notice– I’m aware of– I’m surprised by — etc.) or notes on the process or experience of writing it.

A [recent] moment of beauty   …..

Please share your write, your reflection or your process in the Comments section. Respond to each other and we’ll create a community journal experience!

Participate in any or all prior Coffeehouse Community Writes — they appear every two weeks, but they’re timeless.

20 Responses to Coffeehouse: A Moment of Beauty

1. irit freiman October 30, 2017 at 11:36 am #

My recent moment of beauty was with you Kay. When I came to the summit, started to introduce myself, you knew who I was, opened your arms big for a genuine hug. It was a moment of beauty and giving. I felt seen, heard and welcomed. It was surprising and definitely not taken for granted.
    How much beauty can happen between two people, strangers, when so much warmth is given.
    It Is a moment, a feeling and a lesson I carry with me
    thanks

• Kay Adams October 30, 2017 at 2:47 pm #

Irit, I’m right back in that moment — you in all your bouncy jet-lagged excitement and me with the pride and joy of meeting a student/friend from another land! And then our lovely lunch in that huge room all by ourselves. We’ve just had another TWI student register at Journalverse today from Israel — I promised her I’d connect you two, so I shall, by private email. Shalom!

• irit freiman October 30, 2017 at 11:07 pm #

i’ll be waiting. I have a technical question. is there a way to get notified when someone writes a response or maybe a reply to my response?

• Kay Adams October 31, 2017 at 7:27 am #

That is a question for Sean the Tech Guy! I will ask him.

2. Frances Gollahon October 30, 2017 at 1:23 pm #

A Moment of Beauty

I was waiting in line at the bank. It was a huge, two-story, open floor plan in one of the high-rise buildings in the city. It held various vendors which lined the glass walls, all highly polished with a hush-hush atmosphere. The candy store employees wore white gloves and their sample chocolates had a 14k gold flake mark on their little bottoms (the candies, not the employees). The floor throughout was cobblestone and the entire front of the building was glass.

The bank had thick, maroon-colored-velvet ropes draped between shiny chrome stanchions directing the patrons in orderly fashion to the next teller.
    There was a little girl along with her Mom several people in front of me…she was six years oldish and totally intrigued by those maroon-colored-velvet ropes. She stared at them for a long time but couldn’t resist touching. She gently glided her tiny hands across and around those beautiful ropes. Suddenly, without any warning, one of the stanchions crashed to the floor creating an incredibly loud and echoing clanging throughout the lobby! Throughout the stores! Heads turned by the bother of it.

My first reaction was a knot in my stomach. I wanted to duck. Wow, I thought, that little girl is going to get it big time! Her Mom is going to kill her! Yell at her! Swat her! I didn’t know which or if all would land! I wanted to run to avoid the pain.

Instead of the drama and anger, that lovely Mom calmly reached over, gently drew that little girl close to her side and whispered in her ear. Then without fanfare she stood the stanchion upright and the whole thing was over.

The moment of beauty: the loving reassurance that was given to that little girl, the touch, the patience, the affirmations I imaged whispered in her little ear. It felt good to me and gifted me that solar-plexus-buzz that is now a familiar friend in the warmth of love and acceptance.

• Kay Adams October 30, 2017 at 2:39 pm #

Ah, Frances! What a lovely scene you’ve written. An object lesson for each of us about the risks of reaching for beauty and the rewards of calm and loving strength when things don’t go as we planned. Thank you!

3. Frances Gollahon October 30, 2017 at 5:53 pm #

My pleasure. Since I’ve joined Journalverse, (just today) not only have I enjoyed my writing using the prompts…it energized my whole day! Thank you all for being here…there…all together.

• Kay Adams October 31, 2017 at 7:30 am #

I know! Isn’t it cool? Thanks for diving right in on your first day! Just wait until you get the newsletter in a few hours!

4. Carol Roberts November 1, 2017 at 7:50 am #

A day of beauty yesterday as I held my little baby grandson close, all the while grieving the untimely death of a sweet friend. I kept seeing the baby’s precious face, smiling at me, nodding his little head in delight. Also, throughout the day I received poems from two wise and loving women, you Kay and my new California acquaintance (poet laureate of San Luis Obispo County). Also beautiful things. So I was comforted all day and came home not exhausted but energized. Lovely.

• Kay Adams November 1, 2017 at 10:25 pm #

Ah, Carol. Such wisdom to hold a baby and the death of a friend in the same breath and stay grounded and read poems. May you experience the peace of wild things. Thanks for sharing.

5. Stephanie Hawryliw November 1, 2017 at 8:27 pm #

Call me crazy, but a recent moment of beauty, although very brief, was walking outside this morning to fresh, fluffy snow blanketing my world! It was a perfect moment. It was still dark, very quiet, no wind, and pretty warm. The snow just makes it magical and makes everything around feel brighter and fresher. We’ve been lucky this year to not have too much cold weather and cold weather is certainly coming, so it was really nice to have our first big snowfall be a nice one. It can be windy and bitterly cold here, so I love to soak up those beautiful winter days that make it bearable! There is definitely a part of me that loves winter just because that peaceful, fresh feeling is so comforting – like a nice warm blanket!

• Kay Adams November 1, 2017 at 10:23 pm #

Stephanie, I think you’e in Alberta? I’m in Denver, which is about the same longitude as Denver (? I think?) — by way of saying that you described Colorado snow so beautifully! I think it might have to do with similar lack of humidity? I was right there with you. These are magical early mornings. You’ve inspired me to take a sunrise walk around the lake.Thanks for sharing your moment of beauty!

• Stephanie Hawryliw November 4, 2017 at 7:57 am #

Hi Kay! Yes, Edmonton, Alberta! And you’re right, more or less the same longitude so it a dry cold, which I find a lot more tolerable to the damp get in your bones cold of the coasts!

6. Margaret O November 3, 2017 at 4:17 am #

A month ago yesterday I was discharged from hospital after undergoing emergency (and v unexpected) surgery. Normally of robust good health I entered a world I would not have chosen – who would? I spent a night on a trolley in a corridor, which I would have understood to be a dreadful experience. But yet at no time did I feel uncared for – there was the porter who passed me and saw that I might welcome a duvet and went and found one. A very busy nurse who asked if I might be more comfortable with a second pillow. The doctors and nurses who examined me with great skill and sensitivity. It was a very busy night in that Accident and Emergency department and in the middle of all the trauma, and the challenges that come with them, the human kindnesses were absolutely to the fore. Moments of beauty that were repeated over and over in the week of my stay there and, I believe, as healing as any medicine.

• Kay Adams November 3, 2017 at 1:22 pm #

Margaret, what an affirmation of goodness. I am uplifted by your story. Thank you. It sounds as if you’re recovering now, so I hope that’s going well. Welcome!

• Carol Roberts November 11, 2017 at 6:42 pm #

Wow. I remember being on that “trolley in the corridor” and not really having the kind of attention you mention. But it never hurts to go there once just to understand how blessed we usually are!

7. Margaret O November 3, 2017 at 5:13 pm #

Thank you Kay and yes, I am recovering well – and now the Journalverse is playing its part too! Glad to have arrived here…

8. Tess Hamel November 3, 2017 at 9:58 pm #

A moment of beauty touched my heart suddenly, by way of a little green box, a memory, and a longing tinged with sadness. Two months ago we moved. Under the best of circumstances, moving will upend the normalcy of daily life and make a real mess of putting it back together again. Not having had the ideal circumstances to work with has amounted to nothing less than extended chaos, but very slowly we’re putting the pieces in place.

Two days ago while putting my desk things in order, I discovered that my heart was suddenly arrested by the little green box I held in my hand. It was just an ordinary gift box, big enough to nestle a coffee mug inside. But it was a moment of contact, with the memory of a very dear friend. I sat down in my chair and let the beauty of that moment wash over me. It was a difficult memory, heavy with longing and I wanted to be sad, but what I found in my heart was open celebration instead.

I could hear her laughter, and see her curly brown hair bobbing freely about her face with every movement of her head. Her radiant smile lit up the rooms of my heart and for a few moments she was here again, loving life and everyone in it, and I found myself smiling in response. Her life here on earth was interrupted by an aggressive disease, but I know she lives on, in spirit. I had used the little green box to house note cards, envelopes, stamps and colorful stickers, to send her greetings every week.

I’m going to keep that little green box, and I’ll continue celebrating the radiant beauty of her love and her life. Because any time our hearts reach out in love, it’s a moment of beauty being shared, and that’s what Laura did best, every single day.

• Kay Adams November 4, 2017 at 12:33 pm #

Tess, I love this: “… any time our hearts reach out in love, it’s a moment of beauty being shared…” — so very wise and true. I celebrate your friend Laura’s life and legacy.

• Carol Roberts November 11, 2017 at 6:40 pm #

Thank you for this beautiful story.