Kay’s Journal: Snippets of Healing

In just one week the theme of Healing has nudged its way into my life. In the grand tradition of Snippets, here’s how my week has gone:

1.  I met with a nutritionist last Friday to get in front of a months-long struggle to get better control of blood sugar. Turns out that when one becomes Of A Certain Age, what has worked for decades suddenly shifts. The last six months have been about getting in front of that shift. And even though I know with certainty what foods to avoid and what foods to embrace, my pancreas and liver aren’t responding in the same way. This has caused some controlled chaos in my physical life. The nutritionist explained clearly and calmly what’s happening and what I can do about it.  I’ve now got a plan for healing!

2. On Saturday I made a giant pot of my mother’s beef veggie soup. I grew up on this soup. It’s the most healing soup I know. I shared some with my neighbor, took a big container of it to my friend Marta & Don’s last night for Golden Globes, and just finished a large bowl for lunch. I also had it for breakfast, and for lunch yesterday, and dinner the night before. It’s the first time I’ve made it–my sisters are the keepers of the family recipes–and particularly with soup, I tend to improvise. I was thus somewhat astonished to discover  that when I followed the recipe exactly, my soup tasted just like my mom’s!

3. I was deeply moved by Sarah Silverman’s compassion for a stranger who called her vulgar names on her Twitter feed.  This is healing as an active verb.

4. I was also moved by the show of solidarity for the #MeToo movement at the Golden Globes last night (Oprah ROCKS!) and the nascent hope that healing of sexual harrassment and abuse is underway, Yes, Hollywood privilege was on full display, but there was authenticity as well — the kind borne of lived experience.

5. I am in the middle of writing a curriculum for an on-line continuing education class for therapists–the one I taught “on the road” in about 120 American cities from 2006-2013.  It’s a tedious and time-consuming task, but one well worth the trouble as I envision the many therapists who will have access to this information that has been dormant for some years. My overarching mission for this year and every year is to bring the healing art and science of journal writing to all who desire self-directed change and the helping professionals who serve them. This course is the next iteration of the mission.

If you have chosen a theme for your 2018 — how did it manifest in these opening days of the year? Tell us in the comments!

8 Responses to Kay’s Journal: Snippets of Healing

1. Carol Roberts January 9, 2018 at 12:04 pm #

Oh, boy, did I ever pick the right one: forgiveness. Just finished a precious three days with visiting daughter and granddaughter and the family here. Wonderful? Yes. Without tension? No. Without going into the details, just trust me, forgiveness is about the only thing I can do here. Another more positive thought that has come to me is understanding that in most situations, there is a bigger picture (and I don’t have it and it’s okay).

Thanks for asking, Kay!

• Kay Adams January 10, 2018 at 3:45 pm #

Carol, always lessons, hmmm? Sounds like Forgiveness is offering you a more spacious, benevolent approach to tension. One of my teachers always said that forgiveness is for giving.

2. Karyl Howard January 9, 2018 at 5:01 pm #

Having taken two of those “on the road” classes, I can give “testimony” to the value of them for therapists (and, of course, their clients)! I’m glad to read that they are on the return! Thank you!

• Kay Adams January 10, 2018 at 3:42 pm #

Yes Karyl I remember the day you were in the front row! That was in 2008!

3. Maryanna Brunkhorst January 12, 2018 at 5:34 pm #

My theme for 2018 is “courageous connection” and literally from New Year’s Eve onward I’ve been meeting a number of amazingly wonderful people almost daily and connecting much more deeply from the onset than my more intro-than-extrovert self is used to. It’s been lovely and surprising!

• Kay Adams January 15, 2018 at 6:09 am #

Maryanna, this is beautiful! Isn’t it cool that when we get focused things happen? The mythologist Joseph Campbell is often quoted as saying “Follow your bliss,” which he did, but then he completed the sentence: “Follow your bliss, and doors will open where there were no doors before.”

4. Katherine Cox Stevenson January 30, 2018 at 11:06 am #

I have two themes for 2018 – “finish” and “share.” Finish my memoir. I have been writing it for years and was simply treading water so hired a memoir mentor and am finally making great strides. Yay! And sharing my love of journaling for health with groups and individuals.

And I get to share even more next week Kay as your guest! After all these wonderful years of listening and participating in calls it is such an honor to be your guest.

Especially loved your soup story!

5. Karen Newcomb February 10, 2018 at 7:06 pm #

Here it is February and I’m just reading this now. And, its perfect timing. My word is courage. I call on it frequently.

Speaking of your “on the road show”, I was on your right…maybe the 2nd row… in Fremont, California, 2011. I think i was still in chemo. It transformed me and my life. Thanks Kay.