Kay’s Journal: Invisible (Illegible) Writing, Part 2

Here’s what I’m writing about in my journal this week!

JV icon K JournalA couple of weeks ago I wrote a blog called “Invisible Writing” that described a technique taught by Montreal art therapist Anne-Marie Jobin to transform difficult stories into journal art. (She actually calls it illegible writing, but she liked that spontaneous adaptation.)

Anne-Marie sent me a link to one of her art therapy videos that she has translated for English-speaking audiences. This is Anne-Marie actually teaching the technique that Linda Barnes described to me from her experience at Anne-Marie’s workshop at the Journal Conference last year.

Her video on “writing a soothing letter” appears below. I’m excited that Anne-Marie is bringing her work across the border. She’s a treasure!

Be sure to check out Anne-Marie’s English-language website HERE, and definitely take a look at the Summarized Description of her model. It’s a beautiful combination of art, writing, and language.

Thanks, Anne-Marie!

6 Responses to Kay’s Journal: Invisible (Illegible) Writing, Part 2

1. Ginny March 28, 2017 at 11:19 am #

Wow. Anne-Marie. What a fabulous therapeutic technique. I’m slipping this one into my personal and my teaching toolkits. I’m quite fond of journaling in blank sketchbooks already and have lots of acrylic paint on hand. But I’ve only journaled on top of the painted page. Not underneath and not with illegible writing. Thank you for sharing this with us!

2. Sharon McLeay March 28, 2017 at 12:56 pm #

Love these techniques. Still waiting for an Anne Marie course in English I can attend!

3. irit freiman March 29, 2017 at 4:05 am #

Just facilitated my Bibliotherapy group with this technique, as part of decluttering for Passover. It was amazing. The woman felt relieved , more at peace and most important felt more self-love and acceptance. I did a Pantum poem after that, expressing their experience, feelings and thoughts. It was very powerful. Thank you so much.
    Do you know if she has published books in English?
    shalom
    Irit

• Kay Adams March 29, 2017 at 9:48 am #

Irit, I know she’s working on English translations of much of her work, and I also know it’s got to be a slow process. Do get on her mailing list, though; she’s starting to market to English-speaking audiences. You can reach her through her website. Thanks for sharing your experience! Finishing with a Pantoum sounds very integrative. (Oh gosh I forgot to send you the paper you wanted! I’ll ask Lynn to do that today.)

• irit freiman March 29, 2017 at 10:45 am #

4. Linda Barnes April 11, 2017 at 12:27 pm #

(Via Kay): Bonjour, Anne-Marie and merci beaucoup for this beautiful video and the chance to see your face again. I love/love/love this technique and have not tried yet with acrylics so must do so this week. May all be well with you!