Kay’s Journal: I Give Thanks

Here’s what I’m writing about in my journal this week!

I give thanks for my family–my parents and sisters who shaped me and brought out the best in me, sometimes through encouragement, sometimes through challenge. I am who I am because of my father’s work ethic, my mother’s generosity, my sister’s guidance, and my other sister’s goodness.

I give thanks for every young(er) person who calls me Aunt Kay. The privilege of being with you from birth  (or other circumstances) forward has enriched my life beyond measure.

I give thanks for my family of choice: My friends, mentors, guides, colleagues, teachers, students, trainees, alumni, co-workers, writing groups, communities.  I am who I am because I wake up every morning knowing I am safe, secure and loved, and I am inspired by you to greet the day and do good work.

I give thanks for the men in my life to whom I’ve been married or partnered. Each of you taught me priceless lessons about life and love and the ongoing relationship with self.

I give thanks for my work, the Divine Plan that brought me face-to-face with my destiny in 1982 and cleared a space to stumble happily into my life’s work in 1985 and has been a constant source of grace and gratitude.

I give thanks for the people who support my business and me: my employees, coaches, webmaster, landlord, vendors, suppliers, printers, CPA, attorney, bookkeeper, tech guy, graphic artists, audio and video editors, transcriptionist — it takes a village to raise a business and I am grateful for your contributions and teamwork.

I give thanks for a simple lifestyle, a me-sized home, a lush and fertile garden, the “leaping greenly spirits of trees” (ee cummings), the wilderness preserve across the street where I walk and commune, the relentlessly sunny Colorado sky,  the majestic Rocky Mountains, and my deep roots in the place I call home.

I give thanks for my robust health, my sturdy resilience, my strong muscles and healthy organs and fully functioning mind.

I give thanks for my creativity, with me since my first breath, finding constant expression.

I give thanks for my country, where there are bright times and dark times but always another chance to find a better balance. I give thanks for my first career choice, journalism, and for the liberties of free speech and a free press.  I give thanks for the right to speak truth to power in nonviolent ways.

I give thanks for the Earth and all its beings and blessings.

I give thanks to God, to the All-That-Is, for this one small life on this one blue marble in this vast, complex eternity. I’ve been given wonderful work to do and wonderful people to do it with, and that is my forever thanks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For what do you give thanks?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

10 Responses to Kay’s Journal: I Give Thanks

1. irit freiman November 21, 2017 at 11:50 am #

what about saying thank you to yourself?

I love your list. and thankful for your sharing.
    irit

• Kay Adams November 21, 2017 at 12:14 pm #

Oh! What a good idea! I give thanks for myself! For never giving up, for working hard, and for having the good sense to get out of my own way all those years ago and just let this journal thing unfold!

2. Alice M. Boone November 21, 2017 at 2:40 pm #

Hello Kay and All,

Your list is remarkable, Kay, and not much left out. However, I want to share that I am humbly and truly thankful for my role as a mother to 4 wonderful young adults. I am thankful for the experience of having children and losing one. The Divine Intervention that covered me during this very traumatic time of my life when my oldest son was unexpectedly and accidentally killed, prepared me early for life’s challenges, heartaches, pains, wears and cares. I have learned from an early age that things just don’t happen, they are planned. I am thankful for my level of comprehension in that I have learned how to sacrifice, represent honor, live inside of my moral compass, treat others kindly, and remain a faithful steward with the talents he provides. I am thankful that I have been selected to serve on my Parish’s Lector Ministry and read to the Parish community at 9:00am Sunday Mass. I am so very thankful for the elders of the Parish who repeatedly share with me that ” I love to hear the word from you as you pronounce every syllable according to the Scriptures”. I am thankful that my new home is a haven for all and brings a newness to the creative lobe in my brain. I am so thankful that my career path has been a non-turbulent journey that has graciously continued to reward me for my work ethic, which in turn, has keep me afloat and in good standing with my creditors and financial obligations. I could go on and on, but I want for others to share what they are thankful for, that has not been mentioned.

• Kay Adams November 22, 2017 at 5:48 am #

Alice, what a beautiful Thanksgiving feast of thanks you have offered us. I’m grateful!

3. Carol Roberts November 21, 2017 at 3:48 pm #

I am thankful for a call I got today signing me up to teach a class in Expressive Writing starting in January. Yes!!!!

• Kay Adams November 22, 2017 at 5:48 am #

Yes!!!! You are rocking it in SLO, Carol!

4. Lynn D. Morrissey November 21, 2017 at 4:44 pm #

I am very thankful for you, for saying yes to God’s calling on your life, and for inspiring so many to love and appreciate the joys of reflective writing . . . and for not just keeping this incredible gift to yourself. Sharing is multiplying success, and you have shared so well. I am thankful to be a recipient.
    Love
    Lynn

• Kay Adams November 22, 2017 at 5:49 am #

Smartest thing I ever did, Lynn — saying YES to God’s calling for my life. That leap of faith is the one single decision that changed everything. Thanks for bringing your own take on it to your communities.

5. Tess Hamel November 22, 2017 at 10:40 am #

I am immensely grateful for my husband, partner-in-time, and best friend of 33 years. I am grateful for my children, of whom I couldn’t be more proud, as they have proven themselves to be full of love, generosity, integrity, and resilience in the face of adversity.

I’m grateful for the road-less-traveled, though it has tried me sorely, taking me down some very dark and painful pathways that I wasn’t sure I could survive. On the flip-side, I now have a story to tell, and I’m grateful for the hand-unseen of my Father in heaven who has graciously guided me with the light of his Spirit within my hungry, seeking soul.

I am SO THANKFUL for the HEALING POWER of WORDS, and for the ability and my own space to finally express myself in safety, so that I may share all the love in my heart with clarity.

Many thanks to you Kay, and your team for all you’ve done to provide this Journalverse arena, for the gathering of such brilliant word-smiths. Together, we are weavers of words, extending a hand of friendship for the global healing of hurting hearts. This is a powerful achievement, accomplished in small offerings, even from the seemingly invisible space of our own personal journals.

And, by sharing the magical powers of writing we can extend hope to the many or the few who may be lost and suffering. We can help them incorporate joy and perspective into the fabric of their lives, by giving them a platform to allow their own voices to be heard; and we can introduce benevolence and compassion, for the mending of the tattered edges of a world gone mad. Humanity is hungry for goodness, and writing can be a veritable banquet full of potential, to satisfy the seekers of wisdom and wholeness.

• Kay Adams November 25, 2017 at 8:28 am #

Tess, we at Journalverse give thanks for YOU and all the new members for participating in this collective work and taking the ripples out to your own communities.