Kay’s Journal: Coffee with Kay Reboot!

Here’s what I’m writing about in my journal this week!

JV icon K JournalBy popular demand! My video blog, Coffee with Kay, is back. No set, no titles, no lights, no videographer, no makeup/ bells/ whistles/ hair gel … just me and my laptop webcam at my home office desk in my living room in all my amateur glory. Yikes! That’s scary!

But also liberating.

I hope you enjoy. Feedback appreciated in the Comments section!

21 Responses to Kay’s Journal: Coffee with Kay Reboot!

1. Katherine Cox Stevenson August 14, 2017 at 4:09 pm #

Yay!! Kay so wonderful to have you back with “Coffee with Kay.” How I love your vulnerability and sharing with us being camera phobic. I am SO with you on that. I ruin photos. I have come to accept it as something crazy happens with my face as soon as a camera points. My family knows not to include me in photos. 🙂

And thank you for being willing to challenge that phobia with us. It is beyond delightful being in your living room with you and having you join us “like us” in that how we would all meet if we were in each other’s living rooms. No special makeup and props, etc.

All relaxed and having coffee together. This video made my day! Thank you!!

• Kay Adams August 14, 2017 at 7:31 pm #

Katherine, thank you for being the first to respond! I appreciate that you were one of the voices asking for the return. Please know that part of my “camera phobia” was all about appearance — do I need to lose weight, do I need to know how to do makeup, is my gray hair showing, blahdeblahdeblahblah — who the heck cares?? I mean, really — that’s part of what I had to just get over — the idea that “how I look” matters to anyone but me. When I really took a look at the absurdity of that — I’m going to stand in my own way because I have a fear that I won’t “look good”??? — I have to simply recognize it as a strange but earnest attempt at protection and choose instead to step into the zone of “LIGHT looks good on everyone.”

2. irit freiman August 15, 2017 at 5:46 am #

you ae more than ok. your giving, warm nature makes toy sooo beautiful. that is the only thing I see, and that is the most important thing. more than good enough. thanks for the come back

• Kay Adams August 15, 2017 at 9:28 pm #

Thank you, Irit–I appreciate your kind thoughts!

3. Jennifer Wolfe August 15, 2017 at 10:12 am #

Thanks, Kay! Ir really enjoyed this today, especially after just talking with you yesterday! It was super easy to navigate, also…two clicks and I was in! You’ve inspired me in two ways: 1) to try something new that I’ve been afraid to lean into, and 2) specially, try out Facebook Live one of these days myself! I don’t know if I’m ready to let go of being perfect in front of the camera but I’ll give it a shot. Thanks for leading the way, as always, with an open heart. Reminds me again of why I do this work.

• Kay Adams August 16, 2017 at 8:36 am #

Thanks, Jenn — we teach and learn in the same moment. I’m so glad to be doing this amazing work with you.

4. Mary Reynolds Thompson August 15, 2017 at 10:26 am #

Kay, I loved this. I so appreciate your willingness to be vulnerable and real. It made me think about all the ways I stop myself because I want it all –and me–to be perfect. Love you, love “Coffee with Kay.” Looking forward to all the things you are brewing up for us. Mary

• Kay Adams August 16, 2017 at 8:34 am #

Oh goodie! My marketing guru likes it! Thanks Mary for your notes and for all the Thursday mornings!

5. Mary Kenney August 15, 2017 at 12:56 pm #

Thrilled you’re back with your “early morning Joe”!! Loved being with you in your livingroom,minutes ago, as you were in mine yesterday. That interview sharing was wonderful, so valuable, and it was great to hear your voice from afar! I look forward to many more coffees with you!!
    I so relate to the “camera” thing~~in no way am I interested in skype for the very same reasons!
    I look forward to our next “Coffee with Kay”.
    All the best. xo xo

• Kay Adams August 16, 2017 at 8:31 am #

Mary, it was so great to talk with you and get your input on Journalverse–so helpful! And thanks for letting me know you liked the video — I’m glad that a more casual style can emerge; it makes it more do-able. And you know what? There are some really easy tricks for not hating the way you look on camera! And the one I’m thinking of doesn’t require putting on makeup!! (always a dealbreaker)

6. Susan de Wardt August 15, 2017 at 1:35 pm #

Wonderful! You have the best smile. No one would ever know you are camera phobic. It was fun to sit in your living room and have a little “chat”. Carry on!
    Hugs, susan

• Kay Adams August 16, 2017 at 8:21 am #

Ah thanks, Susan–glad to know it doesn’t show. Actually, the most interesting thing about this for me is that it is not hard–and while it’s also not easy, it’s definitely easier than fighting my anxieties. The worst thing didn’t happen, and the best thing did, so that’s good, right?

7. Harriet Kohen August 15, 2017 at 2:54 pm #

Thank you Kay. Wonderful to see your smiling, optimistic face. I an inspired by you to start tackling a particularly highly procrastinated (I know this isn’t really a word) project.

Cheers, Harriet

• Kay Adams August 16, 2017 at 8:16 am #

Way to go, Harriet! Good luck with the project. Just do it!

8. Carol Roberts August 15, 2017 at 3:06 pm #

Thanks for coming back, Kay. So now I’m wondering about this Facebook live thing. Bottom line is, we love you and we need you and the more we can get, the better. Oh, and just to let you know, I got some good feedback on the lessons I’ve planned straight out of the Poetry Intensive I attended with you in 2015. This happiness I feel right now is directly related to my stepping out and flying to Denver.

• Kay Adams August 16, 2017 at 8:38 am #

Carol, I remember so well how you blossomed and flourished in the poetry intensive. That was beautiful to witness. I’m so glad that all those poetry seeds are now bearing fruit in your new work in your new home city. Congratulations!!

9. Elaine Brooks August 19, 2017 at 6:25 pm #

Kay,
    You look positively radiant! You do a great job of hiding your anxiety. The timing is perfect as I am fighting my own anxiety about a photo session tomorrow for my new website. You are a wonderful role model and I will think about you and smile.
    Thank you!
    Elaine

• Kay Adams August 21, 2017 at 7:35 am #

Elaine, can’t wait to see the new headshots! May your radiance shine! And I hope your photo shoot carried with it even a small bit of release of some of the shyness, awkwardness, self-consciousness, etc. — for me that somehow magically disappeared (I really don’t know why) and I knew one day that I was ready to go through the discomfort of changing that mindset. There were several layers before the last one, when I decided to just be bare. So far it seems to be working; I no longer have 60% of my attention on my own self-consciousness. Now it’s finding the balance. I’ll get there!

• Elaine Brooks August 22, 2017 at 8:14 am #

Yes you will get there! Thanks for your good thoughts. The experience was highly positive. Onward!!

Elaine

10. Cathleen Callahan August 25, 2017 at 12:44 pm #

So fun to see you in your home with your beautiful smile, Kay! I, too, am learning to let go worrying about how I look and just be glad I’m still delighting in being alive!

• Kay Adams August 27, 2017 at 5:12 pm #

Thanks, Cathy! As Bonnie Raitt wrote, “Life gets mighty precious/ when there’s less of it to waste.”